Monday, January 09, 2017

Hot Springs Trail ~ Part 19 ~ Pearl Peak to the Ruby Crest National Recreation Trail


After having make-shifted a camp out of the wind at Pearl Peak under some gnarled trees, we set off for Harrison Pass.


We first skirted Red Cone which from a distance looked a little iffy. 


However, once you got there it was perfectly fine for us and as well as for the mountain goats.


There were 17 goats total with several babies running haphazardly around the steep slopes.


Zoner has aptly named this the Dragon's tail,
and at times it's tail seems to move when the dragon spits its cleansing fire.


Just before Harrison Pass we ran into a stuck 4x4 in the mud.  From the foot prints we could tell that its occupants were still nearby and were heading to the Pass to find some help.  


The owner of the vehicle was named Bob and he was touring the land with his grandsons. Bob needed a ride and so did we... but at the time there was little traffic flowing.  Therefore, Stacey and I started walking down the highway.  After an hour or so of hiking the pavement... all of sudden Bob shows up with his 4x4. "Do you need a ride?" It turns out a car pulling a trailer to Ruby Lake stopped and unhitched his trailer and drove into the backcountry to pull Bob out of the muck he was in. Now we had our fifty mile hitch into Elko secured.  


I spent two days in Elko at a motel resting and resupplying before Stacey departed on her train. It took four hitches and two and half hours to make it back up to Harrison Pass. On my last hitch, a family was out to check on their horses at a ranch and went over ten miles out of their way to bring me back to the trail.


I was now on some real and maintained tread again.


Welcome to the Ruby Crest National Recreation Trail.


The land and skyscapes were indeed gems that sparkled pricelessness. 


I found and followed two different  short tailed weasels apparently hunting for rodents.


These ermines would comb rock piles and then would bound to the next pile of stones in search of its quarry.


Goats played King of the Mountain until I apparently checkmated them with my Rook.


This trail was definitely popular... the lakes were beckoning campers to become baptized by Mother Nature.


My body however was on automatic pilot and my awareness was going along for a ride.


I must have learned something pertinent from the wild horses. 
I trusted in my body to engage in a natural effortless flow.
What i temporarily perceived to be me would ride it like a stallion that required no saddle and no spurs to keep it striding all the way to Canada and Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Your Feelings