Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Hot Springs Trail ~ Part 22 / Idaho Centennial Trail ~ Part 1 ~ Idaho Border to Indian Hot Springs


I finally arrived in Idaho. A sense of accomplishment and relief entered into my mind and therefore my body.  Nevada to me was a Scenic Wonder, but it felt great to have completed another chapter in the Hot Springs Trail Saga.


I still had another 120 miles under my feet to go until reaching Hammett, Idaho on Interstate 84.


Interestingly, Murphy Hot Springs was a much bigger community than i could have ever guessed or imagined. Oddly, there is no Post Office here and i have indeed seen and experienced Post Offices in smaller towns.


The old Murphy Hot Springs Resort has become a historic relic.  There was an old swimming pool that used to house the hot mineral water. However, there still is a pipe between the bridge over the Jarbidge River and the empty swimming pool dispensing the precious hot liquid. 


The Idaho Centennial Trail was now upon me. There was only another 1000 plus miles between me and the Canadian border.


Nevada and the Jarbidge Mountains were a foothill note behind me.


Fresh bouquets of flowers and roaming antelope dotted the wide open landscape.


Zoner was now ahead of me... 
His bike tracks led the way through the enlivened desert terrain.
Temperatures must have hovered around the low 90's in the shade.... if there was any.
I was carrying four liters of water from Murphy Hot Springs not expecting to find anything at Poison Creek, for which I didn't.  There were, however, a couple of dirty cow troughs on route that could have been utilized if desperation set in. 


It was 41 miles to Indian Hot Springs from Murphy Hot Springs, 
and I elected to camp on the rim of the Bruneau River.
I had hiked 42 miles this day. Apparently, I had acclimated well to the extreme heat.
I drank the last of my four liters that night and descended into the canyon the next morning.


Indian Hot Springs was a true Oasis and a natural hot water Wonder. Water gushed out from the sides of cliffs water-falling its way into a new born creek 


The water was scalding hot. There was no way to soak in it.  Even where the hot water met the river, one would either feel too cold or burning hot. There was no apparent mixing of the two.


However, there was a solution. Why not just soak in a bathtub naked?  
There is a flexible fire hose collecting water from the waterfall which you can pipe into the tub.
It took about a half hour for the water to cool off reaching the perfect temperature.


The Bruneau River was fordable on July 17th, however, there is a dilapidated bridge that is usable for those who venture this way earlier in the summer season.


A nesting Peregrine Falcon's Call pierced my ears in the arid air. It was now a mere 22 miles to my next water source on Clover Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Your Feelings